My wife went to a women's group activity leaving me to watch the kids. We decided to grab some spaghetti at a local vendor.
After parking the car, the kids rushed into the restaurant in eager expectation of eating their spaghetti and bread sticks. We soon found a seat and were enjoying long strings of spaghetti on a fork.
As we were eating, Kara said, "Dad, I know what a kidnapper looks like." I didn't know why she was bringing this up so I responded, "Kidnappers can look like regular people so just always make sure you stay near Mom and Dad." She then said, "I think some kidnappers look evil and you can tell just by looking at them."
I said, "Kara, you have nothing to worry about because if someone tried to take you I would hit them in the nose." She looked at me nervously. She said, "If they grabbed me, I would yell and scream until you came and got me." I responded, "That is exactly what you should do." She then said, "What would you do if they put me in their car?" I said, "I would get my car and run right into their car and get you out once their car stopped."
I wasn't sure where this analysis was coming from but I could tell that Kara was getting more nervous as she continued to talk.
Kara then stood up and pointed at a man across the room and exclaimed, "He is a kidnapper!"
My head turned around and I saw a man who clearly looked like a guy who would be a kidnapper if there ever was one that looked like a kidnapper. I told Kara, "Kara, please sit down. You have nothing to worry about because I am right here Kara." Kara got out of her chair and came and sat on my lap.
I decided to get a refill and got up to leave the table. Kara was not going to let me go two feet. She was very, very scared and wanted to go with me.
The guy sitting at the table decided to leave at that moment as he was done eating. As he walked by our table Kara held on tight thinking he would try to grab her at any moment. After he left, Kara looked at me and said, "He is gone Dad" as she gave a light nervous laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment